Are Windshields Covered Under Warranty?
Are windshields covered under warranty? While windshield replacements may be covered by auto insurance policies, most extended warranties and vehicle service contracts typically exclude coverage for windshields. If your windshield sustains damage that is not covered by your insurance, you will need to seek assistance from a windshield specialist for repairs.
The coverage of windshields under warranty varies based on the type of warranty and the circumstances of the damage.
New vehicles often have a Manufacturer’s Warranty covering specific defects and issues for a set time or mileage. Occasionally, the warranty may extend to windshield-related defects, like glass issues or installation flaws. This coverage may differ among manufacturers and models. It is advisable to refer to your vehicle’s warranty documentation or reach out to the manufacturer’s customer service for precise information. A manufacturer’s warranty is considered to have Exclusionary Coverage, these types of warranties tend to exclude things such as glass and plastic.
Extended warranties, such as the Mopar Extended Warranty, from dealerships or third-party companies can cover additional components and repairs beyond the manufacturer’s warranty. The terms of the extended warranty will determine the coverage, which may include windshield damage or replacement. Review the warranty terms to determine if windshields are covered.
Comprehensive auto insurance can potentially cover windshield damage from accidents, vandalism, or other covered events. It is important to note that this is not a manufacturer’s warranty, but rather an insurance coverage option. Keep in mind that insurance coverage can differ significantly, so it’s advisable to examine your policy documents or reach out to your insurance provider for a clear understanding of the coverage.
Normal Wear and Tear
Typically, damage to a windshield from normal wear and tear or small cracks not caused by manufacturing defects or covered incidents is not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.
Certain warranties may exclude coverage for damage caused by environmental factors such as stones from the road, extreme temperatures, or other natural occurrences.
To determine if your windshield issue is covered under a warranty, review the corresponding vehicle warranty or contact the manufacturer or dealership. When it comes to insurance coverage, it’s important to carefully review your policy or reach out to your provider. Make sure you fully comprehend the terms and conditions of any warranty or insurance coverage you have.
Can You Fix A Cracked Windshield?
The ability to repair a cracked windshield depends on the size, location, and severity of the crack.
- Chip Repair. Chips and cracks, smaller than a quarter and not in the driver’s line of sight, can be repaired with windshield chip repair. The process injects resin to fill and seal the crack. A properly executed repair can halt the progression of the crack and enhance the visual clarity of the affected region. Certain windshield repair firms, like Safelite AutoGlass, offer repairs for cracks below a specific size.
- Crack Repair. Larger cracks may also be fixable, but it’s harder. Professionals use a comparable resin injection method to try to stabilize and seal the crack. The repair’s success hinges on multiple factors, such as the crack type and repair quality.
Windshield Replacement. If the crack is significant, deep, or obstructs the driver’s view, it may be crucial to replace the whole windshield. This is particularly important if the crack affects the driver’s visibility, as it can jeopardize safety.
Ensure you consider factors such as glass type, crack size, damage location, and overall windshield condition, as they can impact the reparability of a cracked windshield. In addition, the repair process demands skill and appropriate equipment. Despite the availability of DIY kits for chip repair, it is advisable to entrust windshield repairs and replacements to experienced professionals in this field.
To address a cracked windshield, it is recommended to reach out to a reputable auto glass repair or replacement shop. They will assess the damage and determine the best course of action based on your specific situation. Their expert advice will help you determine whether repair or replacement is the most suitable option.
What Does It Cost To Replace A Windshield?
The cost of replacing a windshield can vary widely depending on several factors.
- Vehicle Make and Model. The cost can be influenced by the type of vehicle you own. Certain windshields may be more expensive due to factors such as size, shape, and the availability of replacement parts.
- Type of Glass. Different types of windshields include OEM glass and aftermarket glass. OEM glass is made by the same manufacturer as your vehicle, while aftermarket glass is produced by third-party manufacturers. OEM glass is usually pricier but may provide a superior fit and quality.
- Additional Features. Some windshields have built-in technology like rain detection sensors, lane departure warnings, and more. Swapping a windshield with these features may be pricier due to the specialized components.
- Insurance Coverage. If you possess comprehensive auto insurance, the expense of windshield replacement could potentially be included, either partially or in its entirety. Consult with your insurance provider to gain an understanding of your coverage.
- Shop Choice. Various auto glass shops have varying pricing structures. Bigger, established shops may have higher charges, whereas smaller shops or mobile services might provide lower prices.
- Additional Services. The cost may increase if there is additional damage to the surrounding areas, such as the windshield frame or molding.
For typical vehicles with basic glass, windshield replacement costs usually fall between $100 and $400. However, vehicles with special features or specific needs might require a cost of over $1000 or more.
Ensure you obtain quotes from multiple reputable auto glass shops to fully grasp the cost for your specific situation. Also, discuss coverage and potential deductibles with your insurance provider if insurance is involved. Remember that although cost matters, prioritizing the quality of the replacement and the safety of your vehicle is crucial.
Best Place To Get A New Windshield?
The best place to get a new windshield depends on various factors such as your location, the make and model of your vehicle, your budget, and your preferences.
Here are some options to consider:
- Authorized Dealership. Consider selecting an authorized dealership for your vehicle’s brand if it is still under warranty or you prefer OEM parts. They offer genuine parts and professional installation.
- Specialized Auto Glass Shops. There are numerous specialized auto glass repair and replacement shops that solely prioritize glass services. These establishments commonly employ skilled technicians proficient in windshield replacement. Seek out establishments with a strong reputation and favorable reviews within your vicinity.
- Mobile Auto Glass Services. Certain auto glass shops provide mobile services for windshield replacement at your location. This is advantageous for individuals with busy schedules or non-functioning vehicles.
- Chain Stores. National chain stores specialize in auto glass replacement and have multiple locations. These chains offer competitive pricing and standardized services.
- Insurance Recommendations. If your windshield replacement is covered by insurance, your insurance company may have preferred providers that they collaborate with. Reach out to your insurance company for advice on where to obtain the replacement.
Ensure that you select a shop with certified technicians and a strong reputation for high-quality workmanship when choosing a place to get a new windshield. It is also important to always inquire about warranties on the parts and installation. Reputable shops often provide warranties for post-installation issues. Ensure the shop offers OEM Windshield Options if you have concerns about OEM parts. Don’t make your decision solely based on the lowest price; prioritize quality and safety.
To ensure an informed choice that meets your needs and expectations, it is advisable to obtain quotes from multiple sources, review feedback from other customers, and inquire about the specific services provided.